Arrival and Departure Times
- ARRIVAL: Plan to arrive in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, January 2, 2020, by 5:00 p.m., unless you have a job assignment or plan to attend a pre-meeting that requires you to arrive earlier.
- Allow 45 to 60 minutes to pick up your luggage and travel to the hotel.
- Shuttle transportation will be provided by SC20 for those arriving on the 2nd from the Orlando airport to the Rosen Centre Hotel (more details to come).
- Dinner will be provided at 6:00 p.m. on January 2 at the Rosen Centre Hotel. SC20 will officially begin at 7:30 p.m.
- DEPARTURE: SC20 will end in the late evening on Sunday, January 5, 2020. You are free to Stay & Play or return home at any time on January 6.
- Allow 20 to 30 minutes to travel by shuttle to the airport. Shuttle transportation from the Rosen Centre Hotel to the airport will be provided by SC20 for those departing on January 6.
- We recommend you arrive at the airport at least two hours prior to your flight’s departure.
We desire to be good stewards of the ministry resources we have been gifted with. You can help us by thoroughly researching your travel options for SC20, and doing what you can to stay within a reasonable amount for travel.
All attendees are required to arrange for the most economical, reasonable travel from their city of origin to Orlando, Florida. If you select any other route or a more expensive itinerary, or if you need to make changes to your ticket at any time, you will be responsible for covering the additional costs and change fees.
As you consider whether to drive or fly, look at all your costs to determine which type of travel will be more economical. You will be reimbursed for whichever type of travel has the lower cost.
- If you are driving, form a carpool with others from your area.
- If you are flying, remember to count the cost of those travel extras when determining the most economical route (e.g., transportation to the airport, airport parking, luggage fees, meals while traveling, etc.).
Travel by Air
SC20 will cover the cost for an economy roundtrip ticket between Orlando and your city of work origin (your home base airport).
SC20 will not reimburse the following travel extras:
- Travel Meals
- Additional seat selection fees
- Additional travel insurance
- Early bird check-in fees
- Change fees
- Any additional flight upgrades to the economy base ticket cost
SC20 will reimburse the following travel extras:
- One checked piece of luggage per person, up to $30 for each flight (a total reimbursement of $60), AND
- EITHER mileage to and from your home base airport and parking at your home base airport up to $10 per day for a maximum of five days (a total reimbursement of $50)
- OR The cost of a taxi or Uber ride to your home base airport, up to $30 per one-way trip (a total reimbursement of $60)
Additional costs beyond what is listed here must be covered out of pocket or from your personal staff account. Refer to the Staff Life Site for InterVarsity’s expense policies and procedures. For information about family expenses, please see the Family page.
Travel by Car
Your reimbursement for mileage (if you are driving a personal vehicle) or rental car costs and gas for a rental car will be prorated according to the number of SC20 attendees traveling in the car with you (see the guidelines below). For any amount not reimbursed by SC20 (per the guidelines below), you are welcome to reimburse that amount from your own personal staff account with your supervisor’s approval.
1 Staff = $0.29/mile or 50% of rental cost (driving by yourself)
2 Staff = $0.435/mile or 75% of rental cost (you and 1 other full-time staff)
3 Staff = $0.58/mile or 100% of rental cost (you and 2 other full-time staff)
Account to Charge
The SC20 account number is 751287. All PCard and expense reports should be submitted with all SC20-related receipts to in Workday within 60 days of incurring the expense in order to receive reimbursement.
Travel by Plane
For SC20, you will make your own travel arrangements. After staff feedback from multiple conferences and events, it was determined that self-booking was preferred. This empowers and allows you to choose the airlines that work best at your home airport.
For those who have complicated itineraries or need assistance on booking the right travel, a travel agent, Burkhalter, is available to assist you in finding the best and most economical means of getting to Orlando. Burkhalter has access to discounted fares with American and Delta Airlines that are not available on travel sites such, as Expedia or Orbitz.
Deadline to Book Flight
You must book your flight by Friday, November 15, 2019. Flights ticketed after November 15 will not be reimbursed by SC20.
Using Burkhalter's Travel Services
To book your travel through Burkhalter, please use this form to get your reservation started.
If you’re not approved to use the InterVarsity main credit card, you will need to provide a credit card. Please fill out and return this credit card authorization form.
Keep in mind:
- When Burkhalter sends you options, please reply as soon as possible. Fares are dynamic and price is not guaranteed until ticketing.
- Flights over $500 must be approved by InterVarsity.
- Burkhalter is charging a $30 service fee to book a flight for this conference. If your flight will be paid for by InterVarsity, InterVarsity will pay this fee. If you are booking flights through Burkhalter for your family or others not covered by InterVarsity, Burkhalter is pleased to offer you the same discounted conference rate of $30 per ticket.
Call: 1-800-556-9286 Mondays through Fridays, 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. CST; Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. CST
Tips for Booking Indpendently
Travel by Car
Renting vs. Driving your Personal Car
Often it is cheaper to rent a car than to drive a personal vehicle. Follow the Vehicle Rental Requirements and Information section of the Staff Handbook. Whether you rent a car or drive your own, your reimbursement will be prorated based on the number of SC20 attendees you have traveling with you (see the Driving Reimbursement section). If you choose to drive, we encourage you to carpool with other staff to keep travel costs low.
Your reimbursement for mileage (if you are driving a personal vehicle) or rental car costs and gas for a rental car (if you are renting) will be prorated according to the number of Staff Conference attendees traveling in the car with you (see chart below). For any amount not reimbursed by SC20 (per guidelines below) you are welcome to reimburse that amount from your own personal staff account with your supervisor’s approval.
1 Staff = $0.29/mile or 50% of rental cost (driving by yourself)
2 Staff = $0.43/mile or 75% of rental cost (yourself and 1 other full-time staff)
3 Staff = $0.575/mile or 100% of rental cost (yourself and 2 other full-time staff)
Expense reports should be submitted within 60 days of the date of travel in Workday. Anything submitted after the 60 day period will not be reimbursed.
Parking in Orlando
For the duration of the conference, complimentary self-parking will be available, including in/out privileges.
Access to the hotel self-parking is located off Hawaiian Court. When passing through the security checkpoint, tell the hotel staff that you are with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. They will help direct you to self-parking, which is located in the five-story parking garage, as well as the parking lot at the rear of the hotel. From here, you can access the hotel from the door under the rear portico.
Hotel Valet Parking
Please note that the cost of valet parking will not be covered by SC20, as there is free self-parking available to all SC20 guests.
Access to the hotel valet is at the entrance off Hawaiian Court. Valet parking has a rate of $23/day, and has in/out privileges. This cost will be charged to the credit card put on file for your room incidentals.